of Prayer Rocks, Also known as Wyalusing Rocks
Wyalusing is said to refer to "where there is an old man." The "ng" sound refers to a dwelling. The word is believed to refer to a holy or medicine man who once lived here. Early spellings of Wyalusing dating back to the 1700's include: Machachlosung, Wuihaloosing, Mockocklocking, Monmuchlooson, Machmihilusing, Ch’wilihlusing, and Wilhilusing.
The earliest known settlers in the region were Susquhannock (also known as Andastes) Indians. Their palisaded town Gohontoto was destroyed by the Iroquois in 1650. Later, the Tuscarora, a tribe of the Iroquois Six Nations, and Monsee Delaware occupied the region, followed by Moravians from Germany who founded a mission town here in 1763. This location is marked by an Oblisk erected by members of the Moravian Historical Society in June 1871.
Wyalusing Rocks was once a lookout post high above the Susquehanna River for American Indian villages in the fertile valley below. A series of huge rocks jut out of a nearly sheer cliff several hundred feet above the river basin.The Great Warrior Path, an American Indian trail leading north to the lake region and south to the Carolinas passed through the area. Eastern Delaware Nations owns property on both sides of Route 6, including the scenic overlook Wyalusing Rocks. An adjacent state-owned parking area along Rt. 6 provides a place for travelers to enjoy the spectacular view.
EDN's fundraising to buy the site kicked off with a Pow-Wow in nearby Towanda in December 1996. In 1997 a 5’ by 24’ mural Elan Kumankw (EElan-Koomonqua) was created and prints sold to help with the purchase of the property. A limited number of prints are still available.
Pennsylvania does not recognize any American Indian tribe within the Commonwealth. EDN's core group is made up of descendents of different American Indian peoples, many who remained in the region hiding in plain sight among other ethnic groups to avoid government removals.
Back to top